Steven Tyler Quotes
- "Mary had a little sheep,
With the sheep she went to sleep.
The sheep turned out to be a ram,
And Mary had a little lamb."
- "It's like sitting on the back of an elephant with an iron trying to
get out the wrinkles."
- "Whether it's fine artists, musical artists, or ultra right wing bull
shit artists, we all need the right to freedom of expression"
- "Younger bands are into jerking off and we're into fucking. That's all
there is to it!"
- "Good night, everyone- and remember- in this world, if you wanna get
ahead, you gotta learn to give a little!"
- After firing Megadeath as their opening act, Steven Tyler was quoted as saying: "We would like to help you out. Which way did you come in?"
- But "The History of Rock 'n' Roll" still stands as an important document of
one of the world's most exciting and important musical idioms. "Rock 'n' roll is
sexuality personified," says Aerosmith's Steven Tyler at
the end of the series' final episode. "It is attitude. It is all the things that your
parents told you not to do. It's the freedom to express yourself. It's being alive. It expresses the times. It's a magazine, a newspaper that tells the truth. If you listen to rap today, it's all about the truth. And that's what we all want. Just give me a little
- "Confuscious says that crowded elevators smell differently to midgets!!"
- "People used to ask me, 'What do you reckon you'll be doing when you're
40?', and I told 'em 'rocking out and kicking ass!' Now it's 'What do you reckon
you'll be doing at 60?' and the answer's exactly the same. I'm always going to love Jimi
Hendrix - 'Purple Haze' will still give me a hard-on when I'm hooked up to a life-support machine. Hey, even when I'm dead, they're going to have a hell of a job nailing
the coffin lid down."
- (On the beginning's of Aerosmith) "I'd been playing in bands for
something like seven years at this point. And we were always trying to get ahead, trying to
rehearse and sound professional. But then I go to see the Jam Band (Joe Perry and Tom
Hamilton's band before Aerosmith), and it blew me away. I wasn't expecting too much.
Then they got up there and did 'Rattlesnake Shake' by Fleetwood Mac. And I said to
myself, 'That's it. These guys suck - they can't even tune their instruments. But
they have a great groove going that's better than any fuck I've ever had.' I just
knew that if I could show them a little of what I knew, with the looseness and balls that they
showed up there, then we'd really have something."
- "The thing that really stands out in my mind about Aerosmith is that
we're still fucking together. Whatever we've done together and whatever we've become, is
second to the fact that we're still doing this. I'm still in love with these guys.
I'm not saying it didn't take a lot of work because drugs will take you and pull you apart. But it wasn't anything we shot up or put up our noses that gave us the edge - it was Joe Perry's
fuck-all, being as abrasive as that motherfucker is, and Brad Whitford's ear, Tom
Hamilton's well-aimed simplicity and Joey Kramer's solid bed of backbeat. Keeping
this band together has been the hardest and the happiest thing we've done in our
lives. It's been a long time coming. So for all the other stuff that comes from Aerosmith,
the most amazing thing is that we're still playing and still having some fucking
- "You have no idea how much it costs to look this cheap."
- "We haven't quite been able to put together the deal for the shuttle --
we want to be the lounge act. Be the first band to play weightless!"
- "I just want Aerosmith to always give me a hard-on, that's all I ever ask for,
for it to be the most special thing in my life. As long as I look at it
through those eyes, it will always be that way."
- "You know...sometimes I'll be looking out at the audience and I'll be in the
middle of a song, and I'll just stop dead. I'll look out at them, and think
what is this... There's one thing that keeps me doing it though, I really love
it, I believe in it."
- (On the Jagger comparisons, when asked what he had to say to people who said
he looked like Jagger) "I say jeans. Well what can I say? People who think I
look like Jagger never met him. These little innuendos about me by people sitting thirty rows back, and all they see is that blond cat next to me as Brian Jones. And Joe as Keith
Richards. And I'm supposed to be Jagger, running around. Shit. Jagger makes up for his whole group. He never stops prancing and dancing while the rest of them just stand there." Creem 9/75
- (On Amazing) "The more I look back at my life and the things that we did, the
more I think there's got to have been a plan for this band, either by a higher power or an
angel of mercy. I mean, that's how I like to look at it now, because for all
the shit I did, someone threw me a rope. I look back on the times I OD-ed,
didn't have any money left in the bank, was let go off CBS because the band
sucked, couldn't even get my shit together to change my clothes, but look at us
now. When you actually look back, it's pretty damn amazing, hence the song." VOX 4/93
- "Hey dude - this tricolor fusilli is fucking outrageous!"
- "Even in the old days, we'd make an effort. When I'd go out to score on
Eighth Avenue, I'd get my junk and a chocalate doughnut. But I'd always also
pick up one of those pita-pocket health food sandwiches. You know, something
really good for me."
- (On girls) "We can look, but we'd better not touch."
- "I'd met Mick Jagger years ago when he invited me to his house in Malibu, but
back then I was too gagged to my fucking ear lobes in coke and Tuinals. I was
barely in shape to knock on the door. But this time it was very beautiful. The
limo pulled into his tent in the tent city, and he had a crib there for his
daughter. We hugged, and I told Mick, 'You don't know what it means to be
standing here with you after all these years. It's amazing, because I woke up
this morning and I got my weekly report from the office, and right next to
Aerosmith at Number Two in airplay R&R is the Stones album at Number One.' Of
course, deep inside I'm thinking to myself, 'And watch out, because we're going
to knock you right off the charts, motherfucker.' "
- "When I let the kid out, he stays out. That's why I'm in rock n' roll."
- "Getting to meet people is always alot of fun. There are times when you're
a little tired or just not in the mood to hang out. But what I've found is that
people understand your feelings. They're cool."
- "Its cool when I meet young guys from other bands who say how much an
impact Aerosmith has had on them and how much they like me.I'll give 'em that
'C'mon you dont mean that' routine, but in my heart I know where they're
coming from. If I had grown up in the '70's and was into rock n' roll, I know
the kind of impact Aerosmith would have had on me. I know the kind of
impact that Elvis and Jagger had on me, and while I'm not comparing myself
to those guys, I can relate."
- "A lot of bands have managed to borrow parts of our style for their music.
Thats fine with me,because we've borrowed from people like the Stones.
But we dont want to sound like we're copying anyone, including ourselves,
so we're moving on."
- "What makes me feel good is that after all these years, the ideas that Joe
Perry came up with worked and all the kids loved it."
- "We were the guys you could actually see. It wasn't like Zeppelin was out
there on the road in America all the time, the Stones weren't always
coming to your town. We were America's band-the garage band that
made it real big, the ultimate party band."
- "Hey, man, if anyone ever tried to smack any of the 5 of us,they'd be shot."
- "We were one of the biggest bands in the world.No one tried to tell us
ANYTHING. And if they did- they were history."
- "When people think of Aerosmith, I want them to think of the music
we've made and nothing else. I don't want the resposibility of some young
kid trying to live his life like I did back in the '70's."
- "I wait till the last minute to do lyrics. I seem to work best that way-
bummed out and under pressure. I often don't do my homework. But I'll
always walk that extra mile."
- (Steven's advice for parents) "Teach your children well and hope they have
- (what he'd like to be reincarnated as) "An osprey or an eagle, they're so
- (explaining the secret of the universe) "Sex:It certainly makes you one
with each other for that brief fleeting moment...those X and Y chromey-
somes. And also I think it's learning how to get out of your own way.
Learn to get out of your own way and shit flows through you."
- "Kurt Cobain, when he did his videos, you look into his eyes and he couldn't
even face the camera; he was in pain and I'm angry about Kurt. This guy
didnt have to die."
- (describing himself in 3 words) "Late, great, debate."
- "Its hard for me when they call me things like the Godfather of Hard Rock.
Its almost like Im really shy and don't wanna hear it. I'm honored, but I get
kinda embarrased. I can't act like I'm a Godfather because I dont think I am
one mentally. When they say that to me, I say'Wheres the hubbub? I'm just
a f#?kin asshole like you are.' "
- "It's like, have you got the balls? If you were waiting for an elevator and the
door opened up and there was 2 people in there f#?king-would you get on?"
- "Nothing feels better than somebody telling you the truth. Because what
have you got to lose? 'Youre an asshole.' No I'm not, that's how I feel."
- "We're in this on a day-to-day basis. There's not a certain point in the
future where we say, 'Well here we are, there's $X million in the bank. We've done
it,lets pack it in now.' It's a case of the old thing- its not the
destination, its the journey."
- "Aerosmith-one of the 10 best bands today? Yeah definitely."
- "If it shakes you in the right places, it's Gods gift."
- "My get up and go has not got up and went."
- (about the days of drugs and excess). "I used to think that I spent so much time
getting high on stage in the 70's and 80's that I didn't take advantage of the
ladies...I was in some corner somewhere. That's a regret, it's not much."
- "All you're doing is chasing the first buzz. It's like youre chasing that head,
that high, and you can never quite get to the same place as you did the first
time. And the more you give it, the more it strangles you."
- "What goes on in your head? How can you go home and write records?
You're full of shit."
- "But, you know, if Joe Perry can get straight, then, REALLY, anybody can."
- "I remember the first guy who offered me a joint in the bathroom. I said
'No, man, I've got enough problems.'"
- "Ratt and Motley Crue copied all my clothes and everything and it's like me saying
'Well I'm gonna go out in my dungarees, what I have on now, and play.
' F#?k that! I started something great, I'm proud of it,I love it and if they copy
me that's all right, but I'm still gonna wear it, because I wear it better."
- "If you cross a river enough and get soaking wet enough times, pretty soon
you learn how to step on the rocks. And somtimes there's someone folowin'
ya and ya gotta loosin' the stones."
- On the basis of songs- "It's like a cage of ribs, it don't look like much, but it
holds all the stuff in."
- "If you don't got what Joplin had, then the only roots ya got are in your
- On people who complain- "It's like a baby who kicks his feet till they bleed.
He finds out people don't give a damn and all you get out of it is a busted foot"
It is almost like the world was asphalt and we were these fucking weeds. No
matter what they put over us, asphalt or metal sealant, we grew right through
- There's nothing like an Aerosmith Groove.
- If you have a candle, the light won't glow any dimmer if I light yours off of mine.
- Well she's coming at her daughter's like from the wrong direction. How can
you fight young lust? a) she's young, and b) she has lust. That's why people
masturbate. I mean, what do you want to be telling your child? That lust is bad?
Get outta here. That's the Holy Wars. (about Lady Tipper Gore opposing to her
daughter listening to songs like Young Lust)
- Men are too busy talking about how big there dicks are. If men bled,
tampons would be free.
- Rock 'n' Roll is about a backbeat you can fuck to, but it's also about saying
'fuck you' to people who don't get off on freedom. We're protecting our right to
- The secret to enlightenment is to lighten up. Weather you are talking rock
or women, the fever's what its about. The band has the fever. We're all
here because we're not all there.
- Now that I am sober, I deserve to get laid
- If our fans are out there driving down that information superhighway, then
we want to be playing at the truck stop. This is the future-so lets get it going.
- You have to grab hold. Sometimes it's your crotch, sometimes its reality. I'm still screaming about what's inside me but now a lot of that relates to what' happening in the world outside. Everybody likes to blame shit on everybody else so they don't have to own up to it themselves.
- Keep your nose to the grindstone, it sharpens your booger.
- I don't buy into this idea that you're not supposed to rock 'n' roll after a
certain date. I'm looking to be the lounge act on the space shuttle so I
can sing "Walk This Way" on the ceiling.
- The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those that got there first.
- But most of all, the train that kept rollin all night long of rock n' roll you
cannot kill. It will live forever.
- Just saying no to drugs is like just saying cheer up to a manic depressant.
- I love every bone in a woman's body, especially mine.
- Everything I've every loved was immoral, illegal, or grew hair on your palms.
- You got the right key baby, but the wrong keyhole.
- BAAAAACK in the saddle again.
- F.I.N.E. - Fucked up, Insecure, Neurotic, Emotional
- The buzz that you be gettin from the crack don't last/I'd rather be O.D.'in
on the crack of her ass.
- Love's 4 letters aint' in my dictionary.
- I'm looking to be the lounge act on the space shuttle so I can sing "Walk
this Way" on the ceiling.
- To be creative you gotta be a child. You gotta be true to the crib.
- I'm gonna give'em what they came for.
- If "to climax" is what the term means, to CLIMAX, why don't we do it all
the time? We should be doing it 3-4 times a day. It's not about stupid and nasty, it's
what we should all be doing.
- It's as clear as the balls on a tall dog.
- The experience of being a teenager is like taking a test before you've
been given the lessons. And being middle-aged is cool because you've
already seen the answers. And being old is like watchin' reruns on TV - it's
frustrating because you can't change the channel anymore.
- I live for CAN-ing other people's can'ts.
- Talk to yourself and you'll hear what you want to know.
- Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
- Here lies Tyler, the Demon of Screamin', Who never woke up from the
Dream he was Dreamin' Until oneday he drank some magic potion--Now
all that's left is Sweet Emotion. (what ST wants on his Tombstone)
- Remember in this world, if you wanna get ahead, you gotta learn to give a
- Sex, drugs, and rock n' roll! Take out the drugs and there's a lot more room for the other two.
- Remember the light at the end of the tunnel, may be you!
- Slash looks like Joe, Joe looks like Keith, I look like Mick, Mick looks like a
black man, black man invented the blues, blues had a baby and names it rock n' roll,
and dude looks like a lady an all that other stuff.
- We paved the road, so to speak. So why not fucking get in our car and
drive down it again?
- "Herd Sheep"...What ST replied when asked what he would do if he was the
last person on earth.
- I heard that your brain stops growing when you start doing drugs. Let's
see, I guess that makes me 19.
- Shit fire and save matches, fuck an duck and see what hatches
- Good nite god bless and dont forget to wear a rubber
- Something tells me we ain't in Kansas anymore Yodo Yah ah ah ah ah !!!
- "People thought we were all washed up. But we came back to KICK SOME
- "It's not the COUGH that carries you OFF. . . . It's the COFFIN they carry
you OFF IN."
- "Well, I took a perfect pill this morning, Bruce. Along with a suck pill"
- "I'm fuckin' flyin' baby!"
- "Moist. That's a *good* word. I like that word!"
- "It's R&B. It's those 2s and 4s. It's like fucking...you know? You can really
*fuck* to a good Aerosmith song!"
- F-C-K. The only thing its missing is U
- We weren't too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the
biggest thing that ever walked the planet, the greatest rock band that ever was.
We just wanted everything. We just wanted it ALL!
- (During the song Stop Messin' at a concert) "On the guitar, musical
alchemist, playing and singin his ass off, Mr. Joe Fucking Perry!"
- The light at the end of the tunnel . . . IS YOU!!!" (at Woodstock, '94)
- Good evening . . . thanks for inviting us to your party . . .I hope you
don't mind if we KICK YOUR ASS with some rock 'n' roll!! (at the beginning
- Do you want the old shit, or the new shit? (taking requests, about
halfway through shows)
- (When asked what's the best revenge he has ever gotten, Steven responded,)
- (on the secret to a successful partnership)Having a direct, positive response to our music is a big perk- it keeps it exciting for us. And we've come to realize that we're musicians first and foremost, and we still love playing together night after night-Steven Tyler, Seventeen-April, 1994
- I guess I am a feminist of sorts, I love woman so much, and I celebrate the female side in me because I appreciate it so much - Steven Tyler, Seventeen-April 1994
- I put so sex in my lyrics because I'm always thinking about it, it's always on my mind - Steven Tyler, Globe and Mail, Febuary 1997
- If we hang ourselves, it's going to be on the tree of creativity - Steven Tyler, Globe and Mail, Febuary 1997
- I really don't feel and age gap with our fans, but then again, we don't create one. You have to be in touch with what younger fans are going through in their lives, and I think we are. Anyone can write mature songs. It's harder to write songs about what you really are, and we're all kids at heart - Steven Tyler, Toronto Star, 1997
- We would like to help you out, which way did you come in..?-Steven Tyler
- You have no idea how much it costs to look this cheap-Steven Tyler
- If you have a candle, the light won't grow any dimmer if I light yours off mine-Steven Tyler
- Now that I'm sober, I deserve to get laid-Steven Tyler
- Keep your nose to the grindstone - It sharpens yer boogers-Steven Tyler
- The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those that got there first-Steven Tyler
- I love every bone in a womans body, especially mine-Steven Tyler
- Everything I've ever loved was immoral, illegal, or grew hair on your palms-Steven Tyler
- And remember, the light of the tunnel may be you, and it's not the light of an incoming train-Steven Tyler
Joe Perry Quotes
- "I don't want fans to think we're clean, upstanding American boys, but we are Americans, and we do stand up."
- When asked if the band plays tighter
now that they are sober and he said, "I guess we all have a bad night
now and then and really screw up. I listened to our earlier stuff and
we screwed up a lot. But at least now that we are sober, when we screw
up it's for real."
- (On videos) "It's weird but it's part of the game now, part of the
industry. Unfortunately there's a lot of other things going on that
will make it a hit besides if it's a great song...I've gotten so I like
to do videos. I get a charge out of it.We put the same sense of humor
and "fuck you"-ness that we put into the music. They've taken on a life
of their own."
- On Gems) "That was a non-hits album, which we thought was pretty cool.
That is one of the Aerosmith records that I listen to."
- "From the inside I didn't think anything was wrong. But from the outside
everything. The focus is completely gone. If I kept a journal, I couldn't
do a better job of showing exactly when we started to go south. Especially because I was too fucked up to actually keep a diary. The Beatles made their White Album; we made our
- "We'd stopped leading our band, we'd stopped giving a shit. We'd go out
to play and we'd struggle to get through 'Back In The Saddle' as opposed to getting
out there and moving things ahead. And all of a sudden there were all these new bands
like Van Halen taking up the slack. We were just laying down sleeping and other
people came in. We just blew it."
- "Our story was basically that we had it all, and we pissed it all away."
- "These days it's almost like a lot of kids get into bands because they want to get rich and famous, but when we started this band that wasn't really part of it. I never envisioned what I was doing as part of a career. We weren't even aware of all the stuff that came with it. We just looked at the bands that we idolized - like the Yardbirds - and we were blown away by how they could play. All we wanted to do was play like that, to be a great band like that."
- (When asked if he is ever embarrassed or annoyed by Steven) "Constantly!
Constantly. All of the above! But you know, that's what's great about it.
There's a brother thing going on there. We've been through so much together.
He forgives me for my stoicism and my hard-headedness, and I likewise do the same
with his flamboyance. I mean, he only hits me with the microphone like once or
twice a tour. And he regrets it when he does! But it's fun watching him, and
it's just not in my nature to do that. I suppose if it was up to me, we'd wear black suits
and sunglasses and just stand there and play. Oh man, he definitely gets dressed in the
closet with the light off."
- "You know, I definitely enjoy it, to be this close to that kind of insanity
- (Joe on writer's block):"I think there was a time when I used to feel that way,
but...it's like I'm past caring anymore. I know that it's gonna come out as
good as it's gonna come out, and I know from history that people just don't lose
it, y'know what I mean?"
- "I know that some of the great painters and some of the great artists didn't
even start to 'peak', as you say, till they were in their fifties and sixties.
And God knows, history is full of artistic people that weren't even recognized
till they were dead and gone."
- "I know that the gift that God gave me isn't gonna just wither up and die unless
I let it die, so it's a matter of me having the faith that it's gonna come out.
Whether or not the public's gonna like it is another story. But I think as long
as I keep changing and sticking to what I really love - and the same goes for
Steven and the other guys in the band - then people are gonna like it."
- "Fuck you Steven"
- "Tell 'em about the tie, Billie, the tie. You know the tie"
- "Music is music you don't have to put a label on it"
- "The '70's came and went already"
- "What the Fuck is this?"
- "[Steven and his band] were loud and obnoxious, behaving like rock stars are
supposed to behave - especially when they're in a little town and nobody knows
how not-so-big they are. They'd come into the Anchorage (the ice cream parlor
that he worked at as a teen) and throw food and shit and I'd have to clean up
- "Wear the same thing you wore last tour, the blue striped thing"
- "You guys are mericiless"
- "Don't tell me what to do, I am having fun!"
- "We have sex 2,3 times a day. In fact, we are late right now"
- "This is our tour - don't fuck with our music"
- "We like each other just enough"
- "Is that a drug reference, I thought we gave up on the drugs"
- "That's it we are leaving"
- "I think I had my drink for next years Christmas about seven years ago!"('89)
- "We were so f#?ked up,we couldnt even get into a studio & stay awake!"
- "You've got to keep your body in good working order--otherwise,how else
are you gonna be able to f#?k all night?"
- "When those bass bins are cranking, it does something to you physically. We
have these special sub-woofers. You dont really hear them, but it shakes you in
the right places. You can call it the devil, you can call it God's gift."
- "We're just entertainers. We're here to make people happy, to make them
SMILE. That's what Steve does with his lyrics. God it'd be boring if it was all
just boy meets girl...C'mon, we're here to have a good time!"
- "What I like about Aerosmith, and what we always try to do, is to keep the
balance of fun. There's enough shit going on--you don't need to come to our
shows and have your face rubbed in it too."
- (about Lightning Strikes..) "It's one of my favorite Aerosmith songs. I was
pissed off that I didn't get to play on it, so I make up for it every night when
we play it live!"
- (more about Lightning Strikes..) "It's one of my favorite songs to play
live--but just to show where I was at, I wouldn't listen to it at the
time, 'cause in my mind it was shit."
- "Rhythm and sex go together and that's where I come from as far as the music
goes. Rag Doll and Love In An Elevator are such sexual songs that you put
them on & the strippers go NUTS!"
- "If you take your last album & try to copy it, then thats sure to hell the way to
stagnation. And that makes me bored...and if I'm bored then the music is boring
and so are the band!"
- "Steven and I stood on the stage at the Boston Garden after the Stones had
just played there and the stage was still up. We had been playing cards, maybe
a high-school dance, to 400 or 500, maybe a thousand. We just stood on the
stage and thought, 'Well,man,maybe someday.' In 4 years that was OUR
- "I think we're just a garage band that got lucky. It's the enthusiasm
from the audience that keeps it going."
- "The kids in the audience still get together and do whatever the f#?k they want.
From the crowds we've played for, from the very beginning until now, they
all get off when we're singing 'Come Together'--'One thing I can tell you is
you got to be free.' The kids go nuts when you say that. It's a tribal thing.
Rock-n-Roll is about freedom. Even if the kids arent there just to hear the
band, it's a meeting place. The lights go down, they get anonymous, some of
them go a little nuts, but it's okay."
- "I don't need to speak...I play the guitar!"
- "I never envisioned what I was doing as part of a career."
- "My sense of humor gets out of hand sometimes, which really bugs the hell out of
Steven. He'd like me yo play straight-ahead rhythms, but I like to make a lot of
noise and shit."
- (Before playing Stop Messin' at a concert), "For all the ladies and gentlemen
and ships at sea out there in radio land ..."
- (on whether they get dumped on for having so many sexy woman in their videos) Sure we do ... but hey, if we were girls, we'd have good looking guys in our videos, we try to be sexy without being sexist - Joe Perry, Seventen-April 1994
- I like the way this record sounds, it sounds loud - Joe Perry, on Nine Lives, Globe and Mail-Febuary 1997
- (When asked what the band feels they have left to prove)
"I don't know if it's anything to put in words. I guess we just feel like we
have a potential that we haven't reached yet musically. Because you keep doing
it, and you keep learning new things, and you go, 'Wow, I want to do that on the
next record!' That's all I can really thing of. I think when you see some of these bands get into their second decade, and they get fat and pudgy and bored, and they keep playing the same songs, it's not because they ever ran out of ideas, it's because they're doing other things in their lives that are killing their creativity. If the creative thing was there for your first couple of albums, it's always there - always there. You can always go play around in that playground."
- (On record companies) "When a band has been successful for their first
few albums, then (the record company says) let's not let the band get in the way of
making the next one good!"
- "I think what we wanted to do, without ever really saying it, was to be
the American equivalent of all the great British bands like Cream, the Yardbirds and
Led Zeppelin. They were all so classy and powerful sounding. We couldn't think of an
American band like that. We wanted to be the first one."
- "Steven's got a lot more time to be obsessed with sex now that he's not
- "I think I deserve to ask MTV a question. Do I have any roast Beef in my teeth?, I just ate."
- "(Talking about cover of GAG)... Ayone who is clearly thinking knows we
didn't go out and tourture some cow. We used a general anesthetic followed
by a few hours in the recovery room. IT'S FAKE!!! The cow doesn't have
anything stuck through it's udder!"
- "Steven and Joe had an argument the first night about Joe playing too
loud, and so began an Aerosmith tradition."
- (on opening for the Mahvishnu Orchestra) "John McLaughlin and the band would
meditate before they started playing, and as you might imagine, we weren't into meditating. We'd already found our own way to meditate, chemiacally."
- "I remember when Joe left, he gave an interview that really hurt me. He said,
'Aerosmith is not ready for the Eighties.' That hurt. It hurt because he was
right. I though about that on New Year's Eve, when we were playing this great
gig at home in Boston. It was my birthday, and I was thinking that Aerosmith
is a band ready for the Nineties. We have a future now. For a while we
didn't have one. It's one hell of a nice thing to have."
- "We never wanted to be a bar band. We were always a concert band."
- "If we've handled everything up until now, we can do anything."
- "Steve's really funny. Like, he's got three or four grand tied up in a stereo
system with four-track recorders in his living room and he sleeps on the floor on
a pillow. He doesn't have a bed!" --Joey Kramer (He later bought Steven a bed as a
- (on the writing of Krawhitham) "Steven and Joe just weren't around, they were
locked away in their rooms consuming whatever they were consuming. We were still
functioning. We still got up in the morning. So Tom, Joey, and I had a lot of
- "Things were getting more like Sid and Nancy than Spinal Tap. It
wasn't funny anymore." --Brad Whitford
- It's to easy to do something different, the challenge is to stay in your own space, and keep it good. That's the hard part - Brad Whitford, Toronto Star, 1997